spoon

Recent Recipes

Butternut Squash Soup

0

Category : , , , ,

There is nothing like a warm soup on a cold day to get me through the winter months. I love, love, LOVE soup. There is something about layering flavors, simmering for hours, and enjoying with both my hands that is so pleasing to me. Making soup is just so damn wholesome.

Creamy soups are my favorite, and this butternut squash soup is nothing short of well, buttery.

Here is a great recipe, which I adapted to what I had in my pantry that day!

4 cup(s) chicken broth
12 oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes*
1/2 large onion(s), cut into 2-inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste

Peel and cut a large squash into 1 in. cubes.



This is the fun part -- anyone who knows me knows I don't need an excuse to use my Global knives. :)

In a large stock pot, combine broth, squash, onion, herbs and bay leaf; cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot and reduce heat to low; gently simmer until squash is very tender, about 10 minutes.



Using an immersion blender (I like kitchen toys), puree the soup in pot on the stove(or puree in a regular blender in batches, careful not to splatter hot liquid - ouch)until thinned to your liking.



Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg and serve!



In the past, I have also drizzled a little low-fat sour cream or creme fraiche on top, once its in the bowl to serve. Stir it in to enrich the creaminess. Mmmmmmm.

Keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week, but also freezes fantastically. Most soups do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.