spoon

Recent Recipes

Packing a Work Lunch

0

Category : , ,

I don't have a lot of time to eat at work, and unless I've whipped up a great dinner the night before, very often I end up grabbing something from the fridge as I make the mad dash from bed to car in 15 minutes. Bloggers note: I am NOT a morning person. Perhaps being a an "early to bed, early to rise" or a coffee drinker would help, but alas I am neither.

You can come up with healthy lunches on the fly if you follow these tips, as illustrated by food writer, Michael Pollan in his book, "In Defense of Food":

Eat real food. Mostly plants. Not too much.

By following these three principles, eating healthier during the day just made more sense to me.

And, because I am hopelessly in love with really good food, it allows me to be more liberal with my meal choices at night.

Here are some examples of lunches I've taken to work:







I often DO eat vegetarian during the day, something I never thought I could or would want to do -- the truth is, there are just not that many outside food options around my work and microwaving my lunch to death every day is not that appetizing to me.

Portion size has blown up over the past twenty years in the United States. I do not NEED a one pound Chipotle chicken burrito sitting in my stomach in the middle of the day. Would I love one? Hell yes I would. But I don't need it.

This is coming from the girl who participated in the "Put Up or Puke Up" Taco Bell Soft Taco Eating Challenge last fall. For the record, my brother beat me by six soft tacos. I'm a disgrace.

But I digress.:)

Fruits and vegetables are portable, don't require refrigeration for the most part, and are much cheaper than dining out at noon every day. Overall, work lunches should be convenient.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.